I decided I needed a new set of night stands for my bedroom. A cursory look at Ikea and other internet outlets showed me that I was going to spend over $100 for anything that I liked that was of (relatively) decent quality. To get anything of ‘good’ quality, I was going to spend over $200 each! In the end, the build I went with cost a total of around $190 to build 2 tables, plus I have quite a few leftovers (stain, polyurethane, etc…) These could be built for even less, but I wanted these to feel like high-end pieces of furniture, so I opted for nice features such as European drawer slides instead of just having wood slide on wood.
Luckily, I found a set of plans for something that I would like here:
thedesignconfidential.com/ 2011/02/free-plans-to-build-a- diy-potterybarn-inspired- hudson-wide-bedside-table
This was also my first woodworking project, so this is all an experiment for me. It took me about 2 weeks to complete the 2 tables. Here’s the finished product:
Also, take a look at the simple drawer organizers that I made for these night stands. These were very cheap and easy to build, and make these much more useful.
Here’s some more details on how these were made:
I purchased the piece of maple faced plywood for this project from Lowes. It seemed much nicer than the stuff at Home Depot. However, a few weeks later I was at Menards and noticed that their plywood appears to be even better quality! I did end up buying Maple 1×2’s from Menards and laminating them into 2×2’s for the legs.
Edge banding is nice to do on 3/4″ thick pieces, but a PITA to get correct on 1.5″ pieces. It is much easier to just use real Maple for the legs. Plus, it is almost the same price to buy 1×2 maple pieces as it is to use edge banded plywood.
Since this was my first project in maple, I used Transfast water based dyes instead of a pigment based stain. I had heard that maple may be hard to stain, and it was best to use dye rather than stain. This is a custom mix of dark Early American and Cherry from Rockler. This dye was hand wiped on with a cloth. It took multiple coats of dye to get to the desired depth of color.
Make sure all glue is cleaned up from surface, as it will prevent the stain from absorbing.
Polycrylic was sprayed onto the surfaces using the Wagner HVLP Control Spray Plus from Home Depot. Three coats of Polycrylic were applied with a light sanding
Kreg Jig and screws were used to join the entire project. Make sure you clamp pieces well before screwing. Almost all of the inaccuracies in this piece are due to parts moving when being screwed together.
Built using my Ryobi BT3000 Table Saw.
Plywood was sectioned at Lowes on their panel saw before bringing home.